Choosing between eyeglasses and contact lenses can be daunting. Both options have unique advantages and potential drawbacks, which is why it is important for you to consider your lifestyle, comfort, and eye health before deciding. Eyes on Norbeck explores the advantages and disadvantages of using contact lenses instead of eyeglasses.
Pros of Switching From Glasses to Contact Lenses
A change from eyeglasses to contacts can offer numerous benefits, such as:
- Improved peripheral vision. For starters, contact lenses provide improved peripheral vision, as they cover your entire eye and move with it. This improvement in vision range is a considerable advantage over glasses, which only offer focused vision in front of you.
- Convenience. Contact lenses can offer greater convenience for physical activities or sports. As such, there’s no need to worry about glasses slipping down your nose while exercising or playing sports.
- Cosmetic variety. Contact lenses provide a wider range of cosmetic options, allowing you to experiment with different eye colors.
Cons of Switching From Glasses to Contact Lenses
Although contacts have certain advantages, there are pros to think about, including:
- Care and maintenance. Unlike glasses, contact lenses require daily cleaning and proper storage to prevent eye infections.
- Initial discomfort. Some people may also experience initial discomfort or irritation when using contacts, requiring time and practice to insert and remove them.
Factors to Consider When Looking to Switch
Before you decide to switch, there are several factors to consider. Your optometrist may ask you about your lifestyle and personal preferences. If you prefer the freedom of movement, for instance, they may suggest choosing contact lenses.
Also, think about the cost. While contacts may seem like a more cost-effective short-term solution, remember that they must be replaced more frequently than glasses.
How To Transition from Glasses to Contacts
Switching from eyeglasses to contacts is a process that takes time. Start with an eye exam to ensure that contact lenses suit your eyes. From there, your optometrist will guide you through proper transitioning, using, caring for, and replacing your new contacts.
Trust Us for Expert Eye Care Solutions
The decision to switch from eyeglasses to contacts is a personal one, but it’s always essential to consider your eye health first. If you want further guidance, get in touch with Eyes on Norbeck! For a consultation, call us at (301) 238-7199, or visit our contact page. We look forward to serving residents in Potomac, MD, and the nearby areas.