It’s one thing to experience the occasional headache; it’s another thing when your headaches start affecting your vision or vice versa. To give you a better idea of how these conditions occur, your trusted optometrist at Eyes on Norbeck shares more information below.
Headaches That Can Affect Your Vision
Problems with your vision can be an effect of a headache, particularly a migraine or a cluster headache.
1. Migraine Headache – This can cause intense pain in and around your eyes. However, diagnosing the visual disturbances connected to this headache can be difficult. Preceding the actual headache, a migraine aura is often described as resembling flashing lights, a zigzag pattern of shimmering lights, or a prismatic rainbow of lights.
2. Cluster Headaches – These are severe headaches occurring in clusters and causing pain around the eyes. The pain usually radiates down the neck including the shoulders. Other symptoms to look out for are red eyes, eyelid droop, changes in pupil size, and nasal drainage.
Vision Problems That Can Cause You Headaches
Vision problems tend to cause headaches when your eyes are overworked or you can’t maintain focus. Generally, treating your vision problem can also resolve the headache that comes with it, so make sure to visit your doctor for an eye exam.
1. Eye Strain – Eye strain and headaches can occur when you overuse the focusing muscles of your eyes. These are common problems in people who are in front of digital screens for long hours. So when your eye muscles become fatigued, a headache can develop around or behind your eyes.
2. Farsightedness – If your farsightedness remains uncorrected, you may experience a frontal headache or a “brow ache.” This is because your eye condition makes it difficult for you to focus on nearby objects, resulting in eye strain and headaches.
3. Acute Angle-Closure Glaucoma (AACG) – This is a rare type of glaucoma that causes an onset of symptoms including headaches. AACG causes the eye pressure to rise quickly, and this further leads to eye pain, eye redness, and cloudy vision.
Eyes on Norbeck is a local practice that specializes in a range of eye care services. From providing eyeglasses to performing eye treatments, we can ensure quality service for every patient. Call us at (301) 238-7199 or fill out our contact form to schedule an appointment. We serve customers in Potomac, MD.